Bruce WillisAccording to Wikipedia, the famous actor, Bruce Willis, was ...
Why did Allah give wrong information to Muhammad?The Qur'an is the holy scripture of the Muslim people. Thei...
Is God unreasonable in asking time?We live in busy times: work, family, social engagements, spo...
Copyright 2007 TheBook.co.za
Fixity of kinds|
God created all living organisms in kinds: one kind will nev...
Destroying Mount Everest
|Created by Gerard de Vos|
Category: Atheist related
Can Mount Everest ever be destroyed by people? No, of course not. It stands as a contrast to man’s finite life and power. But there are people who believe that it is possible to get rid of the Creator of Mount Everest! They are called atheists.
Atheists believe that there is no God. They are not a-buddhists (there is no Buddha), or a-allahists (there is no Allah) or a-venusts (there is no Venus), but they are very definitely a-theists (theos is God in Greek). Since the Bible is the only book that reveals the living God, atheists devote a lot of time to denounce the Bible, and to depict God as some terrible cosmic tyrant.
The picture we have of God from the Bible is completely the opposite. He is a merciful, gracious, tender God who cares for people. Some examples:
1) In Deuteronomy 13:12 -18 we read God’s advice if wicked men lead people astray. The matter must be investigated and probed. Only if it is proved true, may they be prosecuted. Their possessions may not be confiscated and taken as booty. Only on the testimony of two or three witnesses (Deuteronomy 19:15) may an accusation against someone be taken seriously. This is to prevent false accusations because of personal greed.
2) When war broke out, God graciously allowed some men to go home instead of joining the army, namely he who built a house and had not moved in; he who planted a vineyard and had not begun to enjoy it; he who was engaged and had not yet married (Deuteronomy 20:5-8). Even the faint hearted were allowed to go home.
3) They had to make an offer of peace to any nation/city they went to war with (Deuteronomy 20:10). Cities who refused peace, had to be destroyed (Deuteronomy 20:12).
4) To emphasize God's mercy, it should be noticed that God never allowed any indiscriminate killing without giving the people ample time to either repent from their sinful ways (as He did with the Canaanites: they had 400 years of grace), or to make peace with Israel. This was in stark contrast to the Assyrians who were known for their savage brutality against the vanquished.
5) Punishment was meted out after a person was found guilty (Deuteronomy 25:1-3), which in the case of flogging had to be only 39 lashes. Compare this with Acts 22:24-25 where the Romans wanted to use flogging as a way to find out what Paul did wrong. God did not allow punishment as a means of extorting a confession of guilt.
6) Even though the Israelites were slaves in Egypt, they did not have the right to abhor Egyptians, because the Israelites lived as aliens in their country (Deuteronomy 23: 7).
When they built a house (they had flat roofs) they had to put a parapet around the house to prevent someone falling from the roof. This was to prevent charges of man slaughter (Deuteronomy 22:8).
There are many more examples of God's gracious dealings with mankind and His practical advice for daily living.
The question: can man destroy Everest? No. Can atheists destroy God? No. It is futile and stupid to resist, or fight against, God. God never loses. Man harms himself by moving out of God’s wisdom and goodness.