Talk is cheapIf someone says he is wonderful and powerful, it should be v...
Homo’s and the churchAt times we read or hear about young gay theological student...
The creator is the ownerIf a person creates a sculpture, paints a picture, or builds...
Copyright 2007 TheBook.co.za
How Moses caused a media scandal
|Created by Gerard de Vos|
Category: Evolution related
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible, called the Pentateuch, around 1400 BC. In Genesis he wrote about a world wide flood. This has caused the Bible to be ridiculed by people, saying it is myth.
We now live in 2006, more or less 3500 years after Moses wrote. Was he right about the flood? Did the Holy Spirit tell him what to write? The majority of geologists say that a world wide flood is impossible. They believe that the layers of the earth formed a little at a time. But let us take a look at the evidence in the rocks. The fossils must have been formed very rapidly during a water catastrophe. And these fossils are found through out the world. Were these fossils formed in Noah’s time?
* Millions of fish have been fossilized in the Old Redstone in Scotland (Hugh Miller, The Old red Sandstone, 1869 edn, W P Nimmo, Edenburgh).
* There are also great numbers of fossil fish at Monte Bolca in northern Italy where William Buckland wrote in 1836 “The circumstances under which the fossil fishes are found at Monte Bolca seem to indicate that they perished suddenly. (W Buckland, Geology and Mineralogy considered with reverence to Natural Theology, Pickering, London, 1836).
* D S Jordan reported finding in Montery shale of California, enormous numbers of the fossil herring Xyne grex. He estimated that more than 1 billion fish, averaging 6-8 inches in length, died on 4 square miles of sea bed.
* The same is also found in the Karoo system of South Africa. It looks a lot like the work of a sudden great flood, covering those millions of fish. That is not how some evolutionists see it. For them, it is proof for evolution. They say that the fish slowly died out, to be replaced by other species. But that is impossible. Fish decompose very fast. They had to be covered very rapidly to be preserved in mud which became rock. A good evidence for a world wide flood.
* What about the 37 gigantic iguanodon dinosaurs found in Belgium in 1878? They measure 10 meters in length, stand several meters high and must have weighed about 2 tons each (Richard Milton, Shattering the Myths of Darwinism, Park Street Press, 1992, p 84). Were they also preserved over millions of years, without rotting?
* The fossil grave yards found in Como Hills.
* The erratics found across the Russian plains. (Erratics are rocks which are geologically out of place. In Finland and the northern provinces, these blocks are large and become uniformly smaller as one goes south.) They are also being found in America. These big rocks look as if they were transported by water, and that the biggest ones settled first.
* Or the Siwalik hills north of Delhi. Some are 2000 to 3000 feet high and are crammed with fossils - “terrestrial animals that must have been killed by some singular event over a relatively short space of time, and an event which took place on land.” (Richard Milton, ibid, p 93).
Which brings us to an interesting question: Did Moses dream about the flood, and write a mythical story, or was he told what to write by the Holy Spirit, as the Bible clearly teaches? He was not some ancient Nostradamus, since he wrote clearly and coherently. He wrote about the Jews, their forefather Abraham, their sojourn in Egypt, their land Canaan. He told the Israelites that they would be exiled if they were disobedient to God (Deuteronomy 31:16 - 18). The Assyrians and Babylonians exiled them. They returned to Israel, only to be expelled by the Romans. In 1948 they came back to Israel, because God promised the land to them as an eternal fatherland (Genesis 17:8). This is not natural, but supernatural.
Conclusion: The Bible speaks accurately of past as well as of future events. It is a supernatural book.
Related articles: Who invented Jesus?, Prof Hawking and the Doomsday Clock, Photosynthesis and the Bible