The creator is the ownerIf a person creates a sculpture, paints a picture, or builds...
Why did Allah give wrong information to Muhammad?The Qur'an is the holy scripture of the Muslim people. Thei...
Why do we harp on evolution?Are you one of the people who feels that evolution is not th...
Copyright 2007 TheBook.co.za
What is Truth?
|Created by Gerard de Vos|
Category: Bible related
Before the Roman governor, Pilate, condemned Jesus Christ to death on the Cross, he asked him, “What is truth?”(John 18:38). The Bible identifies it as the exact opposite of ‘lies’. God is the God of truth (Psalm 31:5), and the devil is the father of lies (John 8:44). In Genesis 3 we have the entry of the liar opposing the truth. The message of the whole Bible is throughout: choose between truth and lies. Each choice will give rise to the development of the character of the father of truth or of lies, and eventually to one of two eternal destinations.
On the side of truth is:
- God the Father. “O Lord, the God of truth” (Ps 31:5).
- God the Son. ‘‘I am the Way, the truth and the life’’ (John 14:6). “Jesus came from the Father, full of grace and truth” (John 1:14,17). “For this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth” (John 18:37). “Teacher, we know you are a man of integrity and that you teach the way of God in accordance with the truth” (Matthew 22:16).
- God the Holy Spirit. Jesus tells his disciples, ‘‘I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counsellor to be with you for ever - the Spirit of truth’’ (John 14:16). ‘‘But when He, the Spirit of the Truth comes, He will guide you into all truth’’ (John 16:13).
- The Bible. Jesus prays to his father, ‘‘Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth’’ (John 17:7). ‘‘He chose to give us life through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of first fruits of all He created’’ (James 1:18).
- People who choose to accept God’s provision in Christ. ‘‘And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation’’ (Ephesians 1:13). Jesus says, “Everyone on the side of truth listens to me’’ (John18:37).
Truth and lies have nothing in common. ‘I do not write to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it and because no lie comes from the truth’ (1 John 2:21).
On the side of lies, directly opposed to God is:
- The devil. “He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies” (John 8:44). The prince of this world, the devil, is busy with a massive publicity campaign against the Bible and Jesus Christ.
- People who choose against the truth. ‘The coming of the lawless one will be in accordance with the work of Satan displayed in all kinds of counterfeit miracles, signs and wonders, and in every sort of evil that deceives those who are perishing. They perish because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. For this reason God sends them a powerful delusion so that they will believe the lie and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness’ (2 Thessalonians 2:9-12).
The fierce battle between truth and lies rages around us. God’s message is: either believe Me, God, (Genesis 2:16,17) or the devil (Genesis 3:4). People like Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Moses, the Israelites, David, Matthew, Peter and Paul all had to decide. Many others decided not to believe, and their names are not found in the book of life (Revelation 20:15). Once a choice for truth has been made, it must be put into practice. “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven.” (Matt 7:21).